Wednesday 17 April 2013

Goose Egg Carbonara

Just a quick post as I'm very sleepy today and you'll probably read this and see lots of mistakes.

So you know the other day we went to the Farm and got lots of eggs well my ditzy blonde brain finally remembered we still hadn't eaten that bloomin goose egg! So we had it for tea last night.

Most nights I try to cook similar meals for the husband to be and I. So he'll have a bit of meat added and I'll have a bit of cheese!  Nom!

Carbonara is something that we can have together,  you just have to be a bit cleverer at the start. Cook his lardons,  mushrooms and onions separately and cook my not bacon bits in a separate pan. I'm not having any of that disgusting mushroom and onion business!  Add peas. Boil the pasta and then it's on to the egg business.

The egg business... normally it's an egg yolk each but last night it was a goose egg for two... how romantic!

So you separate the yolk from the white and put it in a jug.  Grate lots of vegetarian parmesan cheese (now available from Tesco, Sainsburys AND Morrisons!) whisk the egg yolk and gradually add the cheese. I really can't give you measurements as we do it by taste. When you have a thick paste add a small ladlefull of the pasta water to the mix. It's the starch from the pasta water that makes the sauce. Taste the mixture to see if it tastes cheesy enough. If not add some more cheese or pasta water. Add pepper if you so desire but you probably don't need salt as the cheese is quite salty already.

Pop your bacon/not bacon mix into your pre warmed pasta bowls. Drain the pasta add the egg/cheese mix to the pasta and stir, stir, stir. Before your very eyes the mixture will turn into a beautiful velvety sauce. Pour this and the pasta over your bacon mix and mix together in the bowl.

VERY IMPORTANT!  ADD GARLIC CROUTONS!  EAT AND ENJOY!

I've gone a bit shouty and even sleepier now so I'll sign off. Lots of love xBx

2 comments:

  1. Holey moley! I thought my girls laid large eggs.... that yolk is whopper!
    I make a dairy free cheese sauce with silken tofu, pre-soaked cashews, nutritional yeast flakes and vegan stock powder.... it's very thick and creamy and yummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you got chickens? I would love to have some. Can't think of anything lovelier then finding a warm egg and coming it straightaway! X

    ReplyDelete