Monday 2 July 2012

The Flame!

Well hello there my loverducks, 
No posts for a few days, life has just run away with itself over the weekend, having people to stay is hard work isn't it? Just getting out of bed is hard enough for me most days!

Anyway I'm back and I have exciting news. Firstly my lovely friend Em is coming for tea, the pizza dough is rising by me in bed, the recipe said a warm place, so we're both tucked up under the duvet! Secondly we saw the olympic flame! 

Photos taken by Mr Lardshow




Now I'm not really one for joining in with the crowd and cheering along madly but there seems to be a wonderful feeling falling over the country at the moment. We all, myself included, are feeling a great sense of pride that the Olympics are taking place here in our beautiful land. There's also the knowledge that this may be the only opportunity we will have in our lifetime to see such events. 

Saturday morning and the alarms went off extremely bright and early, thanks to my Mother's amazing navigational skills we travelled in convoy and avoided all the traffic and closed roads and managed to get a nice little pitch next to a roundabout in Streethay. Mr Lardshow's mum and I rested our weary legs from the short walk on the camping chairs we'd taken, we had some funny looks off the local policemen but I think they were a bit fearful of what would happen if they told us to move. So we were ready and waiting, the buzz from the crowd was amazing, there was an incredible sense of anticipation in the air. 

After a while the convoy started to pass by us and eventually a coach with the torch bearers stopped in front of us. Panic set in, were we going to miss the flame? I say panic set in. Several of the crowd started to move to make sure they wouldn't miss anything. I didn't! I'm a professional when it comes to sitting in a chair, you sit in it and let others panic around you, you don't move, ever! Thankfully there was no need to panic because amazingly we had managed to position ourselves in the perfect spot.

We were sitting directly in front of where the torch was going to be passed on. Our torch bearer was a young lad called Jack. He was brilliant! Full of confidence, posing for photos, letting small children come and have their photo taken with him and the torch. 


The look of pride on Jack's face when his torch was lit was just a joy and a privilege to see. I'm so glad we managed to get out and see it. It was well worth it. Who knows maybe one day I'll be able to tell my granchildren that even though I didn't get to compete in the Olympics I did get to see the Olypic torch. 

The torches

Can I urge anyone reading this, who has the opportunity to still see the torch relay to go. It really is a spectatcular sight! Go, you may never get the chance again...

Jack

A big thank you to Mr Lardshow for letting me use his photos from the day, if you'd like to see some more of his amazing pics, please feel free to have a look. Just click on the link below.


3 comments:

  1. A beautiful blog as always! I love the photos...clever Mr Lardshow...professional chair usage should be an Olympic sport I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...seems ages since it was here, that was the day the sun shone. Yeah, it was great, brought a tear to my cynical old eye. Glad you had such a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum and I were quite cynical but ended up very teary by the end of it! Mind you, it doesn;t take much these days!

    ReplyDelete