Wednesday 18 July 2012

How To Eat The Perfect Scone

Hello all,

Recently it has come to my attention that some of you have been struggling with the very delicate task of scone eating and I want you all to fret no more, I am here to help you all out.

Raspberry jam and cream, simply delicious

I've baked scones twice this week, the first batch was fine, lovely and light inside with just enough of a bite on the crust. The second batch, baked in a rush when Cath popped over for coffee and a chat, was a disaster, hard, uncooked little hockey pucks. Not even the birds would have touched them! I don't really understand what went wrong with them. I hate that. I like to know how I can improve my baking. Maybe it was because I rushed them and used too much flour when rolling out? I have to say I am a firm believer that if you cook when you're stressed or not in the mood, you won't end up with lovely baking...



So to the important matter at hand, how to eat the perfect scone. First things first, the pronunciation of the word scone. There is only one way to say this word and quite frankly on a donkey if you can't say this word in the correct way you should not be allowed to even contemplate eating them. The word is SCONE said in the same way you would say GONE. None of this SCONE rhymes with MOAN business. OOF! There you've been told now carry on.


I like to eat my scones (remember, you should be reading this and saying the word so that it rhymes with 'gone') slightly cooled out of the oven with jam on the bottom and lashings of clotted cream. None of this butter underneath the jam malarkey that Mr Lardshow seems to think you should do. NO that is wrong and is almost a crime against bakery.

Summer clearly doesn't want to visit us this year so I feel we should bring summer to us, through the medium of scones. Go on, be a devil and have one, lashings of cream and ginger beer in a frosted glass on a picnic blanket on your living room floor.

Enjoy! xBx

6 comments:

  1. Though you are quite correct in the no butter department I still pronounce scone like throne and will continue to do so! The first batch were lovely...perhaps it was my oven-killing presence which affected batch two?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well young lady, until you learn how to pronounce them correctly you shall not be having anymore! How very dare you! *slams oven door and stubs toe*

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreed on the butter front - so wrong but have to say I'm a throne pronouncer too. Also strawberry jam is definitely the way to go and I hope the scones (rhymes with thrones) are plain, not fruited. This is the holy scone law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right there Missy! you are also going on my 'no scone list' what is wrong with all you people? Oof!

    Ok one more time,

    S. C. O. N. E. RHYMES WITH G. O. N. E

    that is all. xBx

    ReplyDelete
  5. For once we actually agree on pronunciation. Would this be the wrong time to mention that place beginning with B that I live near?!? Rach x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely right on the butter question *ick* I have always reserved judgement on the pronunciation but will accept your argument ('cos I'm scared...) ;)

    Scones look gorgeous by the way!
    xx

    ReplyDelete